VACANCIES Archives

October 2011

VACANCIES@LIST.RUG.NL

From:
Career office <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2011 13:44:00 +0200
Assignment

Start date: asap.

Duration:
Phase 1: approx. 4 months
Phase 2 (optional): 2-4 months

Location: Leusden (mainly)

Website: www.turner.nl

Introduction

The Dutch (and European) Construction industry in the last 15 years has
seen the arrival of new contract types, enabling a more distant role for
the client and requiring integrated responsibility for the contract
accepting party. These integrated contracts, often comprising Design,
Build, Finance & Maintain (DBFM) responsibilities (or a selection)
require contractors to seek new ways to organize their work and
cooperation with third parties. This new process of cooperation, called
Value Chain Integration (Ketenintegratie), is currently a hot topic
within the sector and high on the agenda of “Bouwend Nederland”, who
actively supports approaching and involving the target group for the
online survey.

These contracts can be smaller or larger, comprising multiple or just a
few firms to work together. Well known cases relate often to larger
infrastructural projects (eg Noord-Zuid lijn Amsterdam), that appear to
be difficult to control as quality issues and budget overruns are often
the case. Despite quite some reports about effective cooperation models,
the good intentions of contract partners and organizational measures, it
appears difficult to implement sustainable ways of working that deliver
projects within the required specification.
Objective and procedure

Obtain thorough understanding of the obstacles that hinder the
realization of effective Value Chain Integration and provide (a first
view on) solutions that counter the underlying causes. Provide the best
practices (break through) for Value Chain Integration in Construction
Management. Regarding scope and focus of the research, there is room for
the student to decide with us what should be in- & excluded.

In our research we focus on the building (housing & utility buildings) &
infrastructural sector, but also strive to include the perspectives of
clients, engineers, installation contractors and suppliers. The main
data gathering will be executed through a web based questionnaire via a
specific portal. The interpretation of analysis and findings will be
discussed through several interviews with directors at important
stakeholders.

Results
The outcome of this survey, should be an analysis report where the
obtained market data have been processed and conclusions are drawn. The
focus is on a high quality report that provides new understanding and
views on Value Chain Integration.

Company

Turner is a recognized Dutch Management Consulting firm, already for the
last 17 years delivering high value services to our customers. We focus
on the execution of strategy and have an excellent track record in the
design and implementation of organizational change. Our philosophy is
that true corporate success, derives from balancing both business
economics & planning with mobilisation of employees and building their
trust & commitment. We work, with approx 50 consultants, from our office
in Leusden, and service the larger firms on the Dutch market. We have a
strategic focus on various sectors both in commercial and public sector.
Within our practice for the Construction & Industrial sector, we focus
on Project Oriented Companies. It is in this practice that a research
engagement is prepared, in close cooperation with the Dutch Construction
& Infrastructure Federation “Bouwend Nederland”. For this high profile
engagement we seek energetic ambitious students to support, facilitate
and execute the research works, in close cooperation with Turner
professionals
Contact

Contact person: Jeroen Dekkers, Practice Leader for Bouw & Industry, Turner

Email: [log in to unmask]

Mobile: 06-1016 0771

Fixed: 033 – 2859 300

NOTE: please notify (CC) your application or contact also to Peter van
Kampen within the SOM bureau at the faculty of Economics & Business

E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Any student, preferably with focus on business & organizational design &
behaviour, and having (some) affinity with Construction Industry or
Project Oriented Companies, is welcome to respond. We are seeking
enthousiastic and ambitious students that want to keep pace in the
research task. If you are interested, please respond by mail and add
your cv and a short clarification why the project appealed to you. In
case you require further information, please do not hesitate to call me
at my mobile.

--
Kind regards,

Elise Kamphuis&  Lykke Hendriks
University of Groningen
Faculty of Economics&  Business
Career Office
050-3637182/9384
http://www.rug.nl/feb/careeroffice
Address:
Nettelbosje 2
9747 AE  Groningen
Postbus 800
9700 AV Groningen
The Netherlands
Find us on Twitter @careerFEBRUG
Find us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/universityofgroningen.feb

For final-year projects, an internship contract must be signed by all parties (the organization, the Career Office and the student). The Faculty of Economics and Business has drafted a standard contract which can be downloaded in Dutch or in English. For more information go to http://www.rug.nl/feb/careeroffice/docs/documents.